In the few moments she has away from work, Kathy likes to walk or bike, read and spend time with her cats and dog - but only when there is absolutely no chance to play golf.
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, BA (Psychology)
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, JD (Law)
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln Law-Psychology Program, Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, MA (Psychology)
Areas of Interest:
- Juvenile, family and elder law
- Legal advocacy for children and Guardian ad litem representation
- Child protection policy
- Child support
- Judicial education on child welfare issues
- Court-Appointed Special Advocates (CASA)
- Youth Peer Courts
- Domestic violence
- Juvenile justice
- Adoption and guardianship
Professional Activities & Community Service:
- Member, Nebraska State Bar Association and Lincoln Bar Association
- Chairperson (2002), District One Committee on Inquiry (Nebraska Supreme Court appointment)
- Nebraska Legal Services, Board of Directors
- Nebraska Lawyers Trust Account Foundation (IOLTA), Board of Directors
- Nebraska Permanency Planning Task Force
- CASA (Court-Appointed Special Advocate) of Lancaster County, Board of Directors
- Nebraska Health and Human Services System Steering Committee on Fatherhood Issues
- Nebraska Child and Family Services Review, Advisory Team
- Nebraska Court Improvement Project, Advisory Board
- Lincoln-Lancaster County, Nebraska Community Services Implementation Project, Consultant
- Cather Circle, University of Nebraska Alumni Association, Charter Member
- Nebraska P.E.O. Home, Board of Trustees (Secretary)
- Private legal practitioner since 1983 specializing in juvenile and family law
- Training for the Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Children and Family Services (DCFS), Protection and Safety Workforce
Presentations & Publications:
- Tomkins, A.J. & Olson, K.A. (2002). Some initial ideas about implementation of a child-centered, neighborhood-based child protection system: Impressions from focus groups in Nebraska. In Melton, G.B., Thompson, R.A. & Small, M.A. (Eds.), Toward a child-centered, neighborhood-based child protection system. Westport, Connecticut: Praeger.
- Small, M.A., Melton, G.B., Olson, K.A., & Tomkins, A.J. (2002). Creating caring communities: The need for structural change. In Melton, G.B., Thompson, R.A. & Small, M.A. (Eds.), Toward a child-centered, neighborhood-based child protection system. Westport, Connecticut: Praeger.
- Olson, K.A. (1998). Youth courts: Teens judging teens. Family Futures, 2(3), 15.
- Paper presentation. Olson, K.A., McKinlay, A., & Melton, G.B., "Peer-networking as a method of dissemination of information to judges on child sexual abuse." Meeting of the American Psychology-Law Society, Santa Fe, New Mexico, March, 1994.
- Olson, K.A., (1993). Legal actions. In Bulkley, J. (Ed.), Child sexual abuse training manual: A curriculum for judges. American Bar Association, Center on Children and the Law: Washington, D.C.
- Olson, K.A., (1993). Role of the guardian ad litem. In Stick, R.S., & Brooks, C.M. (Eds.), Nebraska juvenile court manual. Nebraska Continuing Legal Education, Inc.: Lincoln, Nebraska.